Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Wir gingen mit unsern Laternen... on a beautiful Martinmas walk

Lanterns, St. Martin and Wotan

The resource for all things St. Martin, including songs, with music and text to print out (in German).  If you're unfamiliar with the tunes, hop over for a quick brush-up!  For reference, here are two texts in English.  Happy singing!

St. Martin
(Sankt Martin ritt durch Schnee und Wind)


St. Martin, St. Martin,
St. Martin road through wind and snow
on his strong horse his heart aglow
He rode so boldly through the storm,
his large cloak kept him well and warm.

By the road side, by the roadside,
by the roadside a poor man arose
out of the snow in tattered clothes
"I beg you help me in my plight
or else I'll die of cold tonight."

St. Martin, St. Martin,
St. Martin stopped his horse and drew
his sword and cut his cloak in two
one half to the beggar man he gave
and by this deed his life did save.

I go with my bright little lantern
(Ich geh mit meiner Laterne)


I go with my bright little lantern
my lantern is going with me
In heaven the stars are shining
on earth shines my lantern for me

The light shines bright all through the night
Rabimmel, Rabamel, Raboom
The light shines bright all through the night
Rabimmel, Rabamel, Raboom

I go with my bright little lantern
my lantern is going with me
In heaven the stars are shining
on earth shines my lantern for me

The light grows dim as we go in
Rabimmel, Rabamel, Raboom
The light grows bright dim as we go in
Rabimmel, Rabamel, Raboom

No comments:

Post a Comment